War Memorial

War Memorial in Romford

These historic buildings were officially opened on 11 October 1953, by Lt.-Col Sir Francis Whitemore, the Lord Lieutenant of Essex, to commemorate the service personnel and civilians from the then Borough of Romford, who tragically lost their lives during World War II. This once popular community hall and memorial, fell into severe neglect with one of the buildings boarded up for well over two decades. This building houses commemorative oak panels that were donated by the US Airforce in recognition of the hospitality they had enjoyed whilst being posted here during the war. The panels are engraved with the names of 141 civilians and 246 service personnel who lost their lives.

Read More